Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Pretty good for an old girl.


It no secret- I love old stuff.  And not just because I'm old. I think we've lost a lot in the so-called improvements throughout the year.  Granted, many improvements are good - cars are safer, paints are safer, plastics are safer. . . But some things would have been best left alone.  I mean, look at those stitches! Perfect! And that is all she does. Sews. She just sews. And that is all I need for her to do. This old girl has been around for over 100 years and I'd be willing to bet that she'll still be going  strong in another century. 

I think the newness of things is just frustrating because as I've aged, I've noticed how disposable things seem to have become.  Including people.  Sometimes I feel like one of the old Singers - quite old, the surface is not as bright and shiny which seems to put some people off but despite outward appearances, I can be a workhorse.  And lots and lots of experience in its (my) history.  It seems as if when we get older, assumptions are made - that we are not smart enough or strong enough.  But like the old sewing machines, sometimes we are best at what we are meant to do.  
    My old Singer makes a perfect straight stitch and it gets the job done.  I don't really need anything more than that to make a beautiful quilt.  Similarly, I need to accept myself and not measure myself against the newer models.  And that just may be a piece of advise worth sharing.

3 comments:

Quilt Granny said...

I hear your song and sing the same one several days a week. Just because I'm not as young as I once was, I am still going strong. Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Sincerely adore the *old* ways and things!
I actually found the sewing machine you posted at the top several years ago.
It was buried in a pile of junk at the thrift store and even had the cover on-which was covered in filth contact paper.
I am so glad I took the time to peek at what was inside.
Total cost: $9.99
Score!

Have a beautiful *old* day!

Mimi
@ The Goat Borrower

KaHolly said...

I agree 100%!

Busy summer

So much for keeping up with this blog! Seems like there is always something to do and for that, I am very grateful! We finally have rain - i...