Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A little bit of crazy.


The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the snowflakes blowing from the trees look like glitter.  I enjoyed being outside of my cage for a wee bit at noon. It is 12 degrees which, in comparison, seems warm. 

I love walking across campus especially at lunch time. There are so many interesting sights and so many interesting conversations on which to eavesdrop. Unintentionally of course.  Everyone has a story. And if you listen, you can often hear a snippet of that story.  So many times when walking, I am privy to some very personal phone calls: a girl sharing her weekend escapades with a girlfriend, trying to convince a parent that it is ok that she dropped a course that she really didn't need, about party plans for the evening.  I've listened to conversations that students have had for interviews, with professors, with the financial aid office, with the bank, with girlfriends, boyfriends, friends-in-general.

I also hear crap that I don't want to hear - mainly the folks such as the sidewalk preachers and others promoting agendas which the more unpopular the agenda, the louder the message is shared.  I hear profanity way more than I would like and way more than is necessary. Profanity - by a stretch - has its place. Such as an expletive for frustration, shock or pain. But as a general part of a conversation? I don't think so.  I think a speaker who is attending a University has the creative capacity to think up more words than the same old f@#k time after time.

 So...I don't know why I labeled this post A little bit of crazy. Perhaps because it is crazy that birds are singing yet it is 12 degrees out. Or crazy because I'm a person who is more comfortable outside away from people yet has chosen a career that requires me to work inside and talk to people on a regular basis. Yes, that is crazy.


1 comment:

Snowbrush said...

We can thank the "let it all hang-out" '60s. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I would gladly return to a certain amount of repression.

Busy summer

So much for keeping up with this blog! Seems like there is always something to do and for that, I am very grateful! We finally have rain - i...